Suicide and Self Harm
Broad Aims: To give the learner a better understanding of how to deal with a self-harm or suicide crisis in differing environments.
Overview: This course is designed to provide learners with an introduction to suicide and self-harm. It will give the learner knowledge and skills to understand reasons why people may engage in such thoughts and/or behaviours, recognise signs, offer early intervention and management skills to an individual exhibiting suicide and/or self-harm thoughts and behaviours.
Learning Outcomes: By the end of the day, learners will be able to:
- Define the terms Self Harm and Suicide
- Discuss the reasons for Self Harm and Suicide
- List the demographics of Suicide and Self Harm in the UK
- Discuss the risk assessment process for intervention
- Cite some of the common reactions and stigmas towards people who Self Harm and/or attempt Suicide
- List recognised strategies to assist someone in crisis
- Cite some common myths and misconceptions
- Discuss the terms ASIST and Mental Health First aid
- Cite where professional help can be sought in a crisis
- Recognise individual limitations