Nutrition and Hydration
Broad Aims: To give the learner a better understanding of nutrition and hydration.
Overview: This course is designed to provide learners with an introduction to nutrition and hydration looking at how best to enable people to choose and consume adequate food and drink. The actual support required by the person will be dependent on their individual needs. Learners will look at the effect of food and water on the body and general health, how to make changes to supplement illness and how to identify the key minerals and nutrients required by the body. Learners will also gain an understanding about malnutrition and dehydration and the implications on the individual.
Learning Outcomes: By the end of the session learners will be able to:
- Define the terms Nutrition and Hydration
- Discuss the risk factors associated with nutrition and hydration
- Understand key risks in relation to malnutrition and dehydration
- Describe the key components of a healthy diet and adequate hydration
- Identify a number of strategies to support people to maintain a healthy diet
- List common conditions that affect a person’s ability to maintain a healthy diet
- Discuss the importance of fluid balance and hydration
- Discuss the effective use of the Malnutrition Universal Screening Tool (M.U.S.T)